Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Post #2

Using blogs in classes are a unique tool available in this digital age. I think that I will probably keep a classroom website set up through either blogger or wordpress. Looking between the two different sites, I'm torn on which one is better though...I really like wordpress for the variety of looks that you can assign to the blog, but I like the overall integration of what Google brings to the table.
I also think that there are possibilities for blogging about assignments in my Language Arts class is a great way to encourage online discussion. There are two large fears that I have about this though. One is the moderation of content. Anything that I post and leave open for "comment" from my students has to be carefully monitored for bullying, inappropriate content and reliability of data. All equals more work for me.
The other concern that I have kind of goes along with the entire technology piece...requiring the usage of technology to keep up with class might hinder those whose families don't have access to the internet. There is still a "digital divide" in the country that is separates the rich from the poor. I would hate to institute a "digital classroom" environment that not everyone could belong to, that would essentially bring further attention to the lack of something in the home that I'm sure is a sensitive subject.
I think that blogs are a useful classroom tools though because they are a way that teachers can get instant information to those students who have instant access. I plan on using them, however, I willl also make sure that I am watching the abilities of all my students to access that information.

1 comment:

  1. ... some very good points. Digital citizenship! We'll be talking about this in class.

    ReplyDelete